FreeBSD 5.3 and Adaptec raidutils (again)

From: Matt Rowley <matt_at_arin.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:49:19 -0500
Sorry, I don't have a copy of the original message that went to current_at_...

On 11/04/04, Scott Long wrote:
> Ah, it is a BSD-style license. However, someone will have to take a
> careful look through each file to check for consistency here. Any
> volunteers?

I pulled down I20-on-linux's raidutils tarball and went through their
license headers.

Just about all of the files begin with Adaptec's BSD-ish license:
1) Source distributions must retain copyright notice and disclaimer,
2) Binary distributions must reproduce the notice and disclaimer,
3) Neither the name of the Adaptec Corporation nor the names of its
   contributors may be used to endorse or promote products derived from
   this software

A few other files have different license headers, copyrighted by Adaptec,
Distributed Processing Technology Corporation, and I2O Special Interest
Group.  The files are:
raidutils-0.0.4/raideng/i2oadptr.h
                     ...i2obscsi.h
                     ...i2odpt.h
                     ...i2oexec.h
                     ...i2omsg.h
                     ...i2omstor.h
                     ...i2otypes.h
                     ...i2outil.h

But these licenses look identical to those in /usr/src/sys/dev/asr/i2o* in
FreeBSD's tree.

These two files: i2omodul.h i2odep.h, in raidutils-0.0.4/raideng/ have a
different I20 license that says "These header files are provided, pursuant
to your I2O SIG membership agreement"... it basically sounds like a
no-warranty disclaimer, but I don't know what the I20 SIG agreement is to
which they referring.

Hopefully this helps in determining whether this code is useful.  I'd love
to see the asr_utils working in FreeBSD5.  But I also really appreciate the
large amounts of fixing-up that's gone into the asr driver over the past
few years.

many thanks,
Matt