Re: Another twist on WRITE_DMA issues <- ProblemFound

From: Garance A Drosihn <drosih_at_rpi.edu>
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 19:51:56 -0500
At 1:28 AM -0500 12/6/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>At 9:31 PM -0500 12/2/04, Garance A Drosihn wrote:
>>
>>I have now switched from that Western Digital drive to a Seagate
>>Barracuda 7200.7 120-gig (ST3120026AS).  The drive seems to be
>>working fairly well, but now I sometimes see some combination
>>like the following three lines:
>>
>>Dec  2 20:29:50 kernel: Interrupt storm detected on
>>                         "irq20: atapci0"; throttling interrupt source
>>Dec  2 20:29:54 kernel: ad4: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA retrying
>>                         (2 retries left) LBA=20627679
>>Dec  2 20:29:54 kernel: ad4: FAILURE - WRITE_DMA timed out
                   [skipping]
>Just before I realized that SATA controller was the problem, I had
>added:
>       hw.ata.ata_dma=0
>to /boot/loader.conf.local, ...

>I removed that setting, rebooted, and I have now done a complete
>buildworld/installworld cycle without seeing a single "interrupt
>storm" or a single WRITE_DMA error.  While the setting was still
>there, I would always see at least a few of those warning messages
>(and sometimes end up with a system panic).  So, my hope is that
>this has finally solved the last of my problems with this machine.

That isn't it either.  I think the hardware is just mocking me.  I
had zero problems for more than 24 hours.  I then copied one set of
partitions to another, booted up to that second set, and immediately
I was back to having the above warnings/errors, and before long I
had a system panic.  And when I try to 'call doadump()', that fails
with an error writing to the disk, so I can't get a core dump of it
either.

Maybe it's an overheating issue, or maybe it's something else.  But
whatever it is, I am going to assume it's the fault of something in
my PC.

--
Garance Alistair Drosehn            =   gad_at_gilead.netel.rpi.edu
Senior Systems Programmer           or  gad_at_freebsd.org