Re: FreeBSD sound distortion problems with SB Live! fixed with PREEMPTION

From: Stefan Ehmann <shoesoft_at_gmx.net>
Date: Wed, 08 Dec 2004 12:47:11 +0100
On Tue, 2004-12-07 at 23:48 -0700, Travis Poppe wrote:
> To my amazement, it worked completely. Enabling PREEMPTION in the kernel
> completely "fixes" this problem to the fullest extent. I have not been
> able to reproduce the problem since using any of the methods described
> above.
>
> I'm hoping that with this new information someone might be able to
> figure out what is truly causing this problem and can come up with a
> solution (or is PREEMPTION a good solution?). It seems that only a
> handful of drivers (emu10k1 is the one I'm having problems with) have
> this problem. For the record, I am not the only one who has reported
> this problem to the lists.

I also experience the same problems with sound you've described.

As PREEMPTION seems to stable for you, I tried to turn it on again.

Unfortunately PREEMPTION remains to be completely unusable for me. The
system freezes within 5 minutes.

The problem is described here:
http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/037949.html

I wonder if no one else gets this kind of problem.