Re: REPORT_KEY ILLEGAL REQUEST: encrypted DVD's under FreeBSD?

From: Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 06:39:34 -0500
On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 10:20:01AM +0100, Pav Lucistnik wrote:

> > > I also encountered the exact problem.
> > > acd0: DVDR <MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-812/K103> at ata1-master UDMA33
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > Garrett Wollman explained this quite nicely to me.
> > In the MMC-3 standard (SCSI) at T10.org, there is a
> > standard section on sense codes:
> >
> > 6F/04       R          MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION
>
> I had good results with FreeDOS bootup from CD-ROM, then swapping CDs
> for a second one with DOS based Mediatek flashing utility and firmware
> image. I could whip up a page with downloads and instructions, but it's
> all easily googlabe. Look for bootdisk.iso, MTKFLASH.EXE and BIN
> firmwares (unofficial).

Thanks for the tip.

I actually did two things.  I got a Windows-based firmware updating
utility my Lite-ON LDW-811S from Lite-ON:

http://www.liteonit.com/ODD/English/e_downloads/e_firmware_dvd%20rw.asp

That worked, but it did not seem to help.

The next thing I did was I obtained a DOS based utility called LtnRPCDOS to
examine the region code of the drive:
http://dhc014.rpc1.org/LtnRPC/

According to that utility, my drive is Region 1 (North America),
so since I live in the U.S., that should work.  The utility
also reported that I could change the region code 5 more times,
so it had not been previously reset.

The next thing I did was to put the following line in /boot/loader.conf:

hw.ata.atapi_dma="0"

That seemed to make things better.  I still seem to get the 6F/04
(REPORT_KEY ILLEGAL REQUEST) errors, but I now seem to be able to play
DVD's which I could not play before.  I will try to test this out with
some more DVD's.

--
Craig Rodrigues
rodrigc_at_crodrigues.org