Re: REPORT_KEY ILLEGAL REQUEST: encrypted DVD's under FreeBSD?

From: Pav Lucistnik <pav_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 10:20:01 +0100
Craig Rodrigues pe v st 01. 12. 2004 v 01:32 -0500:
> On Wed, Dec 01, 2004 at 02:39:09PM +0900, NAKATA Maho wrote:
> > In Message-ID: <20040923032045.GA52428_at_crodrigues.org>
> > > acd0: FAILURE - REPORT_KEY ILLEGAL REQUEST asc=0x6f ascq=0x04 error=4<ABORTED>
> > >
> > > This is my brand of DVD player:
> > > acd0: <LITE-ON DVDRW LDW-811S/HS06> CDRW drive at ata0 as slave
> >
> > I also encountered the exact problem.
> > acd0: DVDR <MATSHITADVD-RAM UJ-812/K103> at ata1-master UDMA33
>
> Hi,
>
> Garrett Wollman explained this quite nicely to me.
> In the MMC-3 standard (SCSI) at T10.org, there is a
> standard section on sense codes:
>
> 6F/04       R          MEDIA REGION CODE IS MISMATCHED TO LOGICAL UNIT REGION
>
> When you get a new DVD player, the DVD-ROM will adopt the region
> code of the first DVD that it plays.  If you want to change
> the region code on your DVD drive, you typically need to download
> proprietary utilities or firmware for your DVD drive.
> Most DVD drives only allow you to change the region code 5 times.
>
> I haven't figured out how to change the firmware on my LITE-ON
> drive, because LITE-ON only supplies Windows utilities, and my
> machine is FreeBSD only.

I had good results with FreeDOS bootup from CD-ROM, then swapping CDs
for a second one with DOS based Mediatek flashing utility and firmware
image. I could whip up a page with downloads and instructions, but it's
all easily googlabe. Look for bootdisk.iso, MTKFLASH.EXE and BIN
firmwares (unofficial).

--
Pav Lucistnik <pav_at_oook.cz>
              <pav_at_FreeBSD.org>

Video games don't affect kids, I mean if Pac Man affected us as kids, we'd all
run around in a darkened room munching pills and listening to repetitive music.
  -- Kristian Wilson, CEO at Nintendo Gaming Corporation Inc