Re: HEADSUP: updated net80211 layer committed

From: Sam Leffler <sam_at_errno.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 09:30:58 -0800
Stijn Hoop wrote:

>On Fri, Dec 10, 2004 at 04:16:28PM +0100, Pierre DAVID wrote:
>

>>This is really a major update! I'm now able to use our 802.11
>>network, with an EAP/TTLS based 802.1X authentication.
>>

>I guess it doesn't yet work with the 'unofficial' ipi/ipw driver? I haven't
>tried it yet but I recently acquired an Intel 2200BG to replace my Dell
>Broadcom proprietary card. So I guess I'll wait for the iwi/ipw maintainer to
>catch up. No hurry, Damien! I'm just anxious!
>
>Great work by Sam though -- this is indeed what I need to get wireless
>to work at our university.

I would like to see all the drivers in the tree updated to use the new
functionality.  Most drivers should  be capable of doing WPA, albeit
with some work.  If wpa_supplicant and hostapd work out well (and I
believe they will) I'd like to see them brought into the base system and
properly integrated.

There's really no reason to use static key'd WEP any more now that we
can build WPA authenticators and commercial AP's are supporting WPA-PSK.

    Sam