Re: FreeBSD sound distortion problems with SB Live! fixed with PREEMPTION

From: Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 16:01:31 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 9 Dec 2004, Krzysztof Kowalik wrote:

> Ivan Voras [ivoras_at_fer.hr] wrote:
> > [...]
> > Not exactly a freeze, but PREEMPTION doesn't help me at all with SB Live
> > (slowdowns, stuttering sound, etc.), especially with large amounts of
> > filesystem operations (this is 5-stable).
>
> Exactly. I tried to use both emu10k1 and emu10kx drivers, with kernel
> with and without PREEMPTION, and both 5.x and 6.0 serie did behave same.
> Intensive I/O made the system quite unusable, and it was not only a
> sound-related issue, but a general one -- slow, lagging mouse in X, etc.

I purchased a SBLive 5.1 and ran tests with it in a Dell PowerEdge 1750
(2x2.4GHz Xeon) the last time we had complaints about sound jitteryness
and I wasn't able to reproduce it, even with heavy buildworld load.
Guess its time to pull the card out and give it another try (after I just
pulled it out of the machine yesterday...)