Re: FreeBSD sound distortion problems with SB Live! fixed with PREEMPTION

From: Thomas-Martin Seck <tmseck-lists_at_netcologne.de>
Date: 11 Dec 2004 15:58:25 -0000
* Doug White <dwhite_at_gumbysoft.com>:

> I purchased a SBLive 5.1 and ran tests with it in a Dell PowerEdge 1750
> (2x2.4GHz Xeon) the last time we had complaints about sound jitteryness
> and I wasn't able to reproduce it, even with heavy buildworld load.
> Guess its time to pull the card out and give it another try (after I just
> pulled it out of the machine yesterday...)

Do add another datapoint here:

Playing an mp3 with mpg321 from the console while doing a 'make extract'
or even 'make clean' in www/firefox is sufficient for reproducing the
sound related issues here.  (This is pIII-550 with a Soundblaster card
(ES137x driver), 4BSD scheduler and an IDE disk on a Promise PDC20268
UDMA100 controller).  With PREEMPTION enabled, the playback is slowed
down noticeably, pops and clicks are rare, though. Without PREEMPTION
enabled, mp3 output was severely distorted even when not much system
activity happened beyond running mpg321.