Re: bugs in ugen.h (and fix)

From: Jamie Jones <jamie_at_bishopston.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Dec 2004 01:31:56 GMT
> Perhaps it was never submitted as a PR, so it got lost.  Was there any
> followup discussion on the mailing list?

There was a lot of discussion BEFORE the patch was posted from 2 people
who were having problems. Jay posted one fix, got a reply where it didn't
help, then posted the new patch with the following message:

 | I think I might have a fix for this, and for Martin's problem as well. It
 | appears my original patch didn't quite cover all the cases where this could
 | happen in ugen.
 |
 | Could one (or both) of you try the attached patch, to see if it alleviates the
 | problem? I guess it might not be easily reproducable for you, Bruce, but I
 | think Martin could fairly consistently panic the system by running a program.
Unfortunately, there was only one reply to that, from 'Martin':

 | > I think I might have a fix for this, and for Martin's problem as well.
 |
 | Not yet, Jay :)
 |
 | I have a new panic while executing my code (this time on first call!):
 | panic: ugen_set_config: interface count failed
 |
 | trace still shows it's triggered by the ioctl().
 |
 | Martin

 Then either I lost the thread, of the thread died a death. I sent this
 message to current, CCing Jay in the hope that it would jog someones
 memory.

 After all, I read someone moaning on slashdot that the SpeedTouch USB
 ADSL modem doesn't work with FreeBSD - with this patch it definitely does!

Hopefully Jay can shed some more light on it ?

Cheers,
Jamie