HEADS UP: NOFOO -> NO_FOO

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 2004 17:43:56 +0200
All,

As threatened several times in the past, the NOFOO -> NO_FOO
conversion of various build knobs has just been done in HEAD.

The new /usr/share/mk/bsd.compat.mk takes care of reminding
you about the need to update your /etc/make.conf and various
build scripts accordingly, while still providing the support
for old knobs.

The plan is to stop supporting the old knobs soon after we
stop officially supporting FreeBSD 5.x, i.e., after several
years.  At this time, the warning in bsd.compat.mk becomes
an error for a short period of time, mostly to help catch
broken (by that time) ports, and then the support for old
knobs will be completely removed.

Old and new knobs may co-exist, in which case no warnings
from bsd.compat.mk will be issued.  This is believed to be
helpful for third-party software (including ports) that
need to support more than just FreeBSD 6.0-CURRENT.

The NOFOO -> NO_FOO conversion will NOT be done in RELENG_5.

FAQ section.

Q: Where can I get the list of old/new spellings?