Re: BIND9 performance issues with SMP

From: Brian Fundakowski Feldman <green_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 00:48:02 -0500
On Tue, Dec 21, 2004 at 05:17:32PM -0700, Scott Long wrote:
> Do you have any comparisons to NetBSD or Solaris?  Comparing to Linux
> often results in comparing apples to oranges since there is
> long-standing suspicion that Linux cuts corners where BSD does not.
> Also, would you be able to re-run your tests using the THR thread
> package?

Also, shouldn't PTHREAD_MUTEX_NORMAL (_not_ the default in FreeBSD)
have possible speed ramifications?

I concur with the observation that libpthread generally offers no
performance increase over libc_r (whereas linuxthreads very much
increases performance).  I don't presume to have nearly enough
knowledge to contribute meaningfully to the thread libraries or
the scheduler, though.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \