Re: twa driver, 3ware 9500s-4lp, speed issue

From: Oliver Brandmueller <ob_at_e-Gitt.NET>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:43:09 +0100
Hi.

On Mon, Dec 20, 2004 at 09:51:07PM -0500, Michael Meltzer wrote:
> I have a 3ware 9500s-4lp controller with 4 10,000rpm raptors hooked up
> to it. 0+1 configuration. AMD dual 64 bit processor.

We had reproducably very bad experiences with 8500 and 9500 3ware disk
controllers in combination with Raptors. After a while (this can be
hours or weeks) one of the disks was detached from the RAID ("drive
timeout"). You could remove it with tw_cli, when trying to rescan it was
not found, until the disk was physically removed or the machine was
switched off (only rebooting was not enough): This means the "failed"
disk needed to be powercycled.

This behaviour has been seen on 6 different machines with either 8500
oder 9500 3ware controllers. The acoustic management of the disks was
disabled (this seemed to have caused problems also for other people).

The disks were OK, the SMART data showed no damage and it was alsways a
random disk failing in the RAIDs.

This behaviour seems to only show up in an environment, where you have
continuous disk I/O with high stepping rates, such as very loaded
mailservers.

We switched to the slightly more expensive ICP Vortex controllers in our
new machines and will be replacing the old 3wares in the older machines.

- The behaviour is _NOT_ seen on servers with less disk I/O.
- The behaviour is _NOT_ seen on serevrs with other disks and 3wares.

If you ever see a drive timeout in this setup think of this posting.

- Oliver

--
| Oliver Brandmueller | Offenbacher Str. 1  | Germany       D-14197 Berlin |
| Fon +49-172-3130856 | Fax +49-172-3145027 | WWW:   http://the.addict.de/ |