Re: Keyboard not working Dell PE 1850 and DRAC cards..

From: Brooks Davis <brooks_at_one-eyed-alien.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2004 12:02:55 -0800
On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:49:43PM +0100, Stefan Cars wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have some trouble using keyboards (both PS/2 and/or USB) on our 15 new
> PE 1850's. The installation goes fine (the PS/2 works, USB does not) and
> single user works OK (with PS/2), but normal boot does not work, it
> seems it attaches the keyboard to the DRAC cards (it identifies itself
> as ukbd0). I found a post regarding this
> (http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-current/2004-September/038879.html).
>
> My question is then, is there anyway I can make this work so I can use a
> regular keyboard (PS/2 or USB) and the DRAC, maybe by fixing so when i
> attach a USB it disconnectes the DRAC and attaches the USB ?. Disable
> the keyboard for the DRAC is something I don't want to do since the
> reason we bought DRACS to them is the possibility to control them
> remote, I have some pressure of people wanting us to run RedHat on them
> and I don't want to be forced to do that becuase of this stupid little
> thing.

The correct behavior is currently unobtainable, but you may be able to
get a sufficent approximation working.  At the moment, you'll only be
able to use the PS/2 keyboard in single user mode because syscons is
going to always pick it and you can't switch unless you have a keyboard
or are in multi-user mode.  However, in multiuser you can change
devd.conf to have a different behavior.  It would be fairly simple to
make /dev/kbd1 the primary keyboard and have the appearence of ukbd1
cause /dev/kdb2 to become and primary.

Hopefully we'll have a real solution soon, but I haven't found the time
to work on it as much as I'd like.

-- Brooks