Re: nForce2 RAID MCP (SATA) support?

From: John Nielsen <lists_at_jnielsen.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 21:34:38 -0700
On Thursday 23 December 2004 03:42 pm, John Nielsen wrote:
> On Wednesday 22 December 2004 11:08 pm, Brooks Davis wrote:
> > On Wed, Dec 22, 2004 at 08:48:31PM -0700, John Nielsen wrote:
> > > What would be needed to simply have the controller recognized
> > > and able to support UDMA 150 (or even 133)?
> >
> > At least in current, there's an nForce2 MCP device id that is supposed
> > to support UDMA6 so I suspect you may just need to wait a bit and it
> > will arrive.  It's possiable you have a board with a non-standard
> > PCI-id.  You might make sure "pciconf -lv" shows that your controler
> > shows a device ID of 0x008510de.  If not, you may be a simple matter of
> > adding it to the necessicary two lines.
>
> Thanks, I'll try booting off a -current snapshot and see what shows up.

No difference in -current.  After looking at the output of pciconf a little
closer, I noticed that the standard IDE controller has the device ID you
mentioned and it is recognized properly.

The SATA controller has a device ID of 0x00e510de.  My amateur hackery
(consisting of adding entries to ata-pci.h and ata-chipset.c) yielded a
nicer-looking identification of the controller at startup, but the drive is
still being accessed using UDMA33.

Anyway, thanks for the help.  I'll keep my eyes open and play with it as I
have time.

JN