Re: fingerprints

From: Dag-Erling Smørgrav <des_at_des.no>
Date: Sat, 25 Dec 2004 01:36:31 +0100
Chuck Robey <chuckr_at_chuckr.org> writes:
> Has there been any work on getting fingerprint readers working on FreeBSD?
> I *really* disilked the fact that (apparently) the only fingerprint
> reader is supplied via Microsoft, but beyond that, it's a USB device,
> which ought to mean, a simple implementation.  I guess I have to read how
> USB works, but before I give too much time to it, I wanted to ask if
> anyone has done anything yet.

AFAIK, fingerprint readers (a) rely on a lot of proprietary, patented
software to actually compare the captured fingerprint to the stored
fingerprint, and (b) are ridiculously easy to fool (some have been
known to read and accept latent prints left by the previous user when
a plastic bag filled with warm water is pressed down on the plate).

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smørgrav - des_at_des.no