Re: Reboot instead of debugger/dump from X11? (Re: an accidental way to pull the plug)

From: Tai-hwa Liang <avatar_at_mmlab.cse.yzu.edu.tw>
Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 10:09:33 +0800 (CST)
On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Robert Watson wrote:
> On Sat, 25 Dec 2004, Chuck Robey wrote:
>
>> I got a little too fast just now, and did something that I shouldn't
>> have done, but what's interesting is, FreeBSD decided to pull the plug
>> and instantly reboot, which is usually something to be regarded as
>> pathological, so I am letting you folks know.  I haven't analyzed
>> exactly what happened to cause it, actually.
>
> With the recent 802.11 panic I posted about a bit earlier, I saw something
> rather odd: when the panic took place on the normal text console, the
> system dropped to the debugger.  However, when it took place with X11
> running, I got an "instant reboot" -- no dump, etc.  So something odd is
> happening during even normal failure modes when X11 is running for me.  I
> wonder if anyone else is seeing this?

   Just a "me too" for observing exactly the same symptom on a Thinkpad R40.
At the first time I thought the reboot-without-panic-to-ddb was associated
with improper kernel debug settings; however, after lots of fscking and
rebooting, I finally realised that all I have to do is to disable xdm
on startup and switch back to the text console. And yes, the panic was
from if_wi.

   According to sys/ddb/db_main.c:195, it appears that the panic would
never get into ddb if the console is unavailable. I'm curious about
whether the doadump() would also be suppressed or not at that moment?