Re: support for Adaptec raid utilities?

From: Dan Nelson <dnelson_at_allantgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Feb 2004 16:18:51 -0600
In the last episode (Feb 02), Jan L. Peterson said:
> Is there any support for using Adaptec's raid utilities for (among
> others) the 3210 adapter?  In 5.2, this adapter is controlled by the
> asr driver, but the utilities (admittedly for an older rev of
> FreeBSD) are looking for /dev/sd*, /dev/sr*, and /dev/dpti (and
> /dev/rdpti).
>
> The utilities, unfortunately, have extremely limited documentation.
>
> I have FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE.  dmesg says:

> asr0: <Adaptec Caching SCSI RAID> mem 0xfc000000-0xfdffffff at device 2.0 on pci2
> asr0: major=154
> asr0: ADAPTEC 3210S FW Rev. 380E, 2 channel, 256 CCBs, Protocol I2O

The utilities have not been updated to keep up with changes in the
kernel.  I think you can work around the problem by symlinking
/dev/rasr0 to /dev/dptr17 (possibly some other number).  See the thread
starting at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.scsi/1933 .

If you're adventurous, the source to the utilities is downloadable at
http://mbserver.adaptec.com/view.php?bn=linux_downloads&key=1030733617
; it at least builds with gcc 3.3 with a little c++ header and scope
tweaking.  If you install the gcc295 port, it might build with no
editing at all.

--
	Dan Nelson
	dnelson_at_allantgroup.com