Re: support for Adaptec raid utilities?

From: Kris Gale <kgale_at_asn.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 12:06:06 -0700 (MST)
>> Is there any support for using Adaptec's raid utilities for (among
>> others) the 3210 adapter?  In 5.2, this adapter is controlled by the
>> asr driver, but the utilities (admittedly for an older rev of
>> FreeBSD) are looking for /dev/sd*, /dev/sr*, and /dev/dpti (and
>> /dev/rdpti).

> The utilities have not been updated to keep up with changes in the
> kernel.  I think you can work around the problem by symlinking
> /dev/rasr0 to /dev/dptr17 (possibly some other number).  See the thread
> starting at http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.os.freebsd.devel.scsi/1933 .

The symlink trick works to make the executable run, but I personally
haven't had any success getting it to actually communicate with the
RAID card.  (Tested with Adaptec 2010S)

Here's a thread on freebsd-scsi where Scott Long basically says
the ASR tools aren't going to work on 5.x without a substantial
overhaul.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-scsi/2004-January/000961.html

Kris