Re: Panic at boot time

From: Ian Freislich <if_at_hetzner.co.za>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 09:44:03 +0200
John Baldwin wrote:
> On Saturday 31 January 2004 09:29 am, Ian Freislich wrote:
> > John Baldwin wrote:

> > > That means your working kernel doesn't work if ACPI is disabled
> > > which is what you are seeing here.  Can you try kernels without
> > > SMP and see if ACPI and !ACPI both work?
> >
> > Yes, UP kernels work with and without ACPI.  So ACPI is broken for
> > SMP (on this particular board)?
>
> No, you get the panic when you don't use ACPI when using SMP.  See if
> your system has an MADT table via 'acpidump -t'.  If it doesn't, see
> if there is a BIOS update for your BIOS.

My machine is running the latest BIOS, well, the very latest image
from Gigabyte was a Beta version that required a univeral programmer
to recover the motherboard.  I don't have access to a universal
programmer any more, so I'm a bit reluctant to try this image again.

Is there anything else that can be done to fix this (appart from
downgrading to 4.9).

Ian

[brane-dead] /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/BRANE-DEAD # acpidump -t
/*
  RSD PTR: OEM=GBT, ACPI_Rev=1.0x (0)
        RSDT=0x0bff3000, cksum=106
 */
/*
  RSDT: Length=40, Revision=1, Checksum=152,
        OEMID=GBT, OEM Table ID=AWRDACPI, OEM Revision=0x0,
        Creator ID=, Creator Revision=0x0
        Entries={ 0x0bff3040 }
 */
/*
  FADT: FACS=0xbff0000, DSDT=0xbff30c0
        INT_MODEL=PIC
        Preferred_PM_Profile=Unspecified (0)
        SCI_INT=9
        SMI_CMD=0xb2, ACPI_ENABLE=0xa1, ACPI_DISABLE=0xa0, S4BIOS_REQ=0xa4
        PSTATE_CNT=0x0
        PM1a_EVT_BLK=0x4000-0x4003
        PM1a_CNT_BLK=0x4004-0x4005
        PM_TMR_BLK=0x4008-0x400b
        GPE0_BLK=0x400c-0x400f
        P_LVL2_LAT=90 us, P_LVL3_LAT=900 us
        FLUSH_SIZE=0, FLUSH_STRIDE=0
        DUTY_OFFSET=1, DUTY_WIDTH=3
        DAY_ALRM=13, MON_ALRM=0, CENTURY=0
        IAPC_BOOT_ARCH=
        Flags={WBINVD,PROC_C1,SLP_BUTTON}
 */
/*
  FACS: Length=64, HwSig=0x00000000, Firm_Wake_Vec=0x00000000
        Global_Lock=
        Flags=S4BIOS
        Version=0
 */
/*
  DSDT: Length=7930, Revision=1, Checksum=186,
        OEMID=GBT, OEM Table ID=AWRDACPI, OEM Revision=0x1000,
        Creator ID=MSFT, Creator Revision=0x1000007
 */

--
Ian Freislich