Re: ATA still broken

From: Simon L. Nielsen <simon_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 3 Feb 2004 23:39:38 +0100
On 2004.02.02 16:42:41 +0100, Søren Schmidt wrote:
> Lefteris Chatzibarbas wrote:

> >>Well I have no idea whats causing this except those drives does
> >>something they shouldn't.
> >>
> >>I'll try to get ahold of one of those faulty devices, but until then
> >>your best bet is to dive in yourself and try to figure out what goes
> >>wrong. I think we have a Liteon at work that I'll hopefully be able to
> >>borrow late next week, of that shows the troublesome behavior I'll work
> >>on a solution..
> >

> >I've been able to boot and have all my devices correctly probed with the
> >attached patch.  It seems that it is this change that you made to
> >sys/dev/ata/ata-lowlevel.c, that my system does not like.
>
> GAG! I have asked a couble of those with problems to test this some time
> ago but newer got any answer back..
>
> I'll commit right away...

Any plans to MFC this to RELENG_5_2 ? I have a Dell OptiPlex GX270
workstation at work which hang during boot as described above.  It hangs
with 5.2.1RC but not with 5.2-RELEASE.  While I haven't tested that the
patch to ata-lowlevel.c work (didn't have time today) I will try that
tomorrow.

An odd thing about the hang is that for me the computer boots just fine
if there is a CD in the drive.

I really think this change to ata-lowlevel.c should be MFC'ed before
5.2.1 (asuming it fixes the hangs).

--
Simon L. Nielsen
FreeBSD Documentation Team