Re: 5.2.1 RC1 audio trouble

From: Gavin Atkinson <gavin.atkinson_at_ury.york.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 4 Feb 2004 13:17:16 +0000 (GMT)
On Wed, 4 Feb 2004, Mattias Schlenker wrote:
> I still use an old Fujitsu Lifebook B142 which has an ESS ES1946S sound
> chip. In 4.7 and 5.1 sound worked without any problems after putting
>
> snd_pcm_load="YES"
>
> to my loader.conf. However 5.2, 5.2.1 and 5.2-CURRENT do not recognize
> the sound card anymore, I just get the message
>
> pci0: <multimedia, audio> at device 13.0 (no driver attached)

What is the output of "pciconf -l"? And what happens if you "kldload
snd_driver" once booted?

Generally snd_pcm is simply the "support code", and you also need to load
a chipset specific driver too. snd_driver is a meta-module which simply
forces a load of all of the chipset-specific modules.

Once you know which chipset specific driver you need to use, add (eg)
snd_ich_load="YES" to your loader.conf instead or as well as the pcm line.

However, from a very quick look, I can't actually see a driver which
covers that chipset. If you have a copy of an old dmesg laying around,
that should at least tell you what the chip was detected as.

Gavin