5.2C - Tyan Tiger (2 x Athlon MP 2000+) - if_bge, ATAng and ixj problems...

From: Peter Wood <peter_at_alastria.net>
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2004 23:12:33 +0000
Good Evening Folks,

After playing with 5.2C for a while I've descovered a few issues at least on
my system.

The first major one that came up was a problem with bge(4) which didn't happen
under 4.9. The card will load, ip's assigned to it. I can transfer minimal
data through it fine, ssh sessions and the such.

However when I start to pass through large amounts of data, I start seeing:

bge0: watchdog timeout
bge0: watchdog timeout
bge0: watchdog timeout

and the data flow stops through the network card. I then have to reboot the
server in order to get it to work again. I can repeat this.

I'm having issues with a Travan tape drive (ewww I know), when it comes to
scan for that device on boot it just hangs. It used to always be fussy about
sitting on a shared ATA bus, but this is a unique bus. I will attempt to get a
verbose boot for this issue.

Finaly, I've been talking to Roger Hardiman (author of FreeBSD version)
regarding the Quicknet VoIP cards. We both have the same card, he can get his
to attach to the device just fine. However on my computer I get the
following...

ixj0: <Quicknet PhoneJACK PCI (nixj)> port 0,0 at device 7.0 on pci3
ixj0: failed to enable port mapping!
ixj0: No I/O space for DSP?

The bottom line is from the driver, however I assume the middle line is from
the kernel. Is there anyway that I can extract more information from the
kernel to why it's failing?

I've seen others having issues with ATAng, however for some reason the bge
issue and ixj seem to nag me together. Is it possible there's some issue with
interrupt handling that could be causing these issues?

As always if anyone with more clue then me wants to have a first hand look I
can arrange that.

Kind regards,

Peter.
--
Peter Wood <peter_at_alastria.net> :: Tel +44 7974 799440