FreeBSD 1.1 under -current :-)

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 00:37:30 -0800 (PST)
well this is not really a -current question, but..
I unpacked a freebsd 1.1 cdrom into a subdirectory
and after kldloading the aout module, chroot'd into it..

things worked fine for a while then it all hung..

apparrently programs in 1.1 can not handle that the PID can go past
32767 now.. 'wait()' for example fails..

ok , so recompile my kenrel with PID_MAX set to 30000
and try again..
all works fine..

I'm tempted to make PID_MAX a tunable or a sysctl..
I think that some compatibility modes may have teh same problems
(though I doubt that many people use anything other than Linux
compatibility)

on my 500 MHz laptop a GENERICAH kernel builds in 34 seconds
including the make depend :-)

but if I do:
cd /usr/src
make world

I get:
jules# make world
cd /usr/src/etc;                        make distrib-dirs
mtree -u -f mtree/BSD.root.dist -p /
extra: .
missing: sys
missing: dev (not created: File exists)
missing: dev/fd (not created: File exists)
missing: etc (not created: File exists)
missing: etc/config (not created: File exists)
[...]
proceeds as per normal (from memory) until:

it tries to make the obj symlinks.

then it all blows up..

does anyone remember if there was an extra step we used to have to do?
did we have to have  a populated /usr/obj to start with?
if so where did we get it from?