Re: HPT374 Driver in -CURRENT

From: Jon Noack <noackjr_at_compgeek.com>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 02:30:12 -0600 (CST)
freebsd_at_amarand.org wrote:
> What is the best way to use the "device ataraid" kernel option while
> performing a clean installation by booting off the 5.2.1 ISO CD-ROM?
>
> This seems like a job for custom boot floppies or CDs, but I'd like the
> most graceful solution.  Also, I'm not afraid to read documentation if
> there's something else that I need to read!

This option is built into GENERIC (the default kernel that the CD-ROM uses
for installation and the kernel that is installed with the OS).  As such,
this should work "out of the box" with no extra configuration. The only
extra thing you should know (beyond a normal install) is that if you are
using a RAID 0 or 1 array you should only set up slices and partitions on
the ar0 (or whatever numbered ar_) device.  This is the device for the
RAID array.  The ad_ devices listed are the individual hard drives of the
array (unless you have extra hard drives).  See the thread started on
01/23 titled "ata0-raid oddness." for more info.

Remembering this little ar_ detail, just follow the handbook:
http://www.freebsd.org/handbook/

Jon Noack