Re: FreeBSD 1.1 under -current :-)

From: David Schultz <das_at_FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 07:30:01 -0800
On Fri, Feb 06, 2004, Tim Robbins wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 06, 2004 at 12:37:30AM -0800, Julian Elischer wrote:
> [...]
> > apparrently programs in 1.1 can not handle that the PID can go past
> > 32767 now.. 'wait()' for example fails..
> >
> > ok , so recompile my kenrel with PID_MAX set to 30000
> > and try again..
> > all works fine..
> >
> > I'm tempted to make PID_MAX a tunable or a sysctl..

Making PID_MAX tunable sounds like a fine idea.  You get bonus
points for looking forwards rather than backwards and retrofitting
the userland tools for 6-digit pids.  ;-)

> I think FreeBSD 1.1 compatibility is obscure enough that there's no
> need for it to work in out of the box (i.e. GENERIC) at the cost of
> increased complexity in non-obscure configurations. Ideally, COMPAT_43
> would be broken up into COMPAT_43, COMPAT_FREEBSD[123], etc., removed
> from GENERIC and perhaps then we could define PID_MAX conditionally
> on these options or at least #error out.

I think COMPAT_43 exists mostly to cover up a bunch of stuff that
ought to have been nixed or fixed a long time ago, not for actual
4.3BSD compatibility.  For instance, COMPAT_43 is still required
to get the old socket interface that linux.ko requires.