Re: HEADS UP: libkse -> libpthread switch

From: Scott Long <scottl_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Fri, 06 Feb 2004 09:29:52 -0700
David Schultz wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 30, 2004, Scott Long wrote:
>
>>Jacques A. Vidrine wrote:

>>>Why, exactly? (curious)
>>>
>>>IMHO it is unacceptable to require /etc/libmap.conf to exist.  I know
>>>this is temporary, but I hope it is *really* temporary.
>>>
>>>Cheers,
>>
>>We certainly are not going to ship 5.3 like this.  However, given that
>>HEAD is a development branch and that change does not happen
>>instantly, I think that this fine for now.
>

> Actually, installing a libmap.conf mapping libc_r to libpthread by
> default in 5.3 might be *less* painful than the alternative.
> Otherwise, an application compiled after the change that links
> against a multithreaded library compiled before the change might
> depend on both libc_r.so and libpthread.so, which would inevitably
> cause things to go wrong at runtime.  Without a libmap.conf, it
> would seem that users would be forced to upgrade all of their
> applications and libraries that depend on libc_r simultaneously.
>

> P.S. In grepping through the next few days of -CURRENT, which I
>      haven't read yet, it seems that someone has already been
>      bitten by this problem.  See Subject: wxgtk build error
>      libpthred related

That's an interesting viewpoint that might be good to consider.
However, what's really going to bite people is the cases where
half of an app has libc_r statically compiled in, and the other
half has it dynamically compiled in.  libmap.conf is useless for
that situation except to remap everything back to the static
library.  So, it's probably best right now to reinforce that
recompiling/portupgrading is the best course of action.

Scott