Re: -CURRENT barfing on UDMA on Via 8233

From: Damian Gerow <dgerow_at_afflictions.org>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:28:34 -0500
Thus spake Damian Gerow (dgerow_at_afflictions.org) [05/02/04 17:09]:
: One dump, and 45 minutes of bonnie++ later, I am having *zero* issues
: running at UDMA100.  So it looks like my problem is just in the boot
: process.  It may or may not be disk mode related, that was my assumption, as
: it dies on boot when mounting /, and the difference between normal boot and
: Safe Mode (that works for me) is UDMA100 vs. PIO4.
:
: So.  It looks like I don't have any problem /running/ at UDMA100, just
: /booting/ at UDMA100.

A little more information...

I just went through some testing (and have fubared my system) to try to
narrow this down a bit more.

If I soft reboot, I cannot boot with UDMA enabled.  If I hard reboot, I
cannot boot with UDMA enabled.  If I disable DMA in the BIOS, FreeBSD still
boots with UDMA enabled (even though the BIOS summary screen shows the drive
in PIO4 mode).

When it gets to the point of fsck_ufs dying, two things to note:

    1) It registers the Linux compatibility module *after* the two messages
       indicating fsck's death.
    2) If I ctrl+alt+del, the system goes through a normal reboot process
       (albeit after a small wait).  If I just hit the reset switch, all
       filesystems are marked dirty on next reboot.

It appears as though during one of my reboots, I screwed up one of my
filesystems -- pam_self.so cannot be found, so I cannot log in.  I don't
know how to boot into Safe Mode manually, and the only way to get the system
up at this point is to boot into single user mode via safe mode.

I ran some more tests overnight, and I can actually run the system in DMA
mode without problems.  I just can't boot with DMA enabled.  For whatever
reason.