Re: latest current + latest ports + nvidia == no GL (pthread problem?)

From: Steve Kargl <sgk_at_troutmask.apl.washington.edu>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:02:19 -0800
On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:45:08PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> As several people were kind enough to point out, the KSE developers are
> still conveniently ignoring the fact that third party drivers and
> software use static LDT allocation, and therefore are incompatible with
> KSE.

Take off your rose colored glass.  The KSE developers have warned
about this problem for months.  If nvidia chooses not to update
their source, complain to nvidia.

> The following entries in /etc/libmap.conf solve the immediate problem
> with making GL apps work again:
>
> libpthread.so.1 libc_r.so.5
> libpthread.so   libc_r.so

Alternatively, you can remove the nvidia drivers and use the nv
driver that come with XFree86.

> It's incredibly disappointing to me that after all this time this is
> still an issue. Sitting in an ivory tower and proclaiming how the world
> _ought_ to be isn't really a useful approach to software design.

It's incredibly insulting to me that you have the audacity to
denigrate the work of the KSE developers.  Julian, Dan, David, and
others have worked for more than 2 years to give us KSE.  I think
someone needs to step off his soap box before he falls.

--
Steve