Re: latest current + latest ports + nvidia == no GL (pthread problem?)

From: Doug Barton <DougB_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Sat, 7 Feb 2004 20:12:26 -0800 (PST)
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Steve Kargl wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 07, 2004 at 07:45:08PM -0800, Doug Barton wrote:
> > As several people were kind enough to point out, the KSE developers are
> > still conveniently ignoring the fact that third party drivers and
> > software use static LDT allocation, and therefore are incompatible with
> > KSE.
>
> Take off your rose colored glass.  The KSE developers have warned
> about this problem for months.  If nvidia chooses not to update
> their source, complain to nvidia.

Thank you for providing an excellent example of my point below.

> > The following entries in /etc/libmap.conf solve the immediate problem
> > with making GL apps work again:
> >
> > libpthread.so.1 libc_r.so.5
> > libpthread.so   libc_r.so
>
> Alternatively, you can remove the nvidia drivers and use the nv
> driver that come with XFree86.

Um, I can't actually. For this particular situation, my choices are use
the nvidia drivers + current, or use windows. (And no, I'm not
interested in debating why my choices are thus limited.) But that's not
particularly relevant to the larger point, which is (AFAIK), the nvidia
drivers aren't the only victims here. Choosing to break compatibility
with third party software (what little of it there is) simply drives
more nails in the coffin of FreeBSD as anything other than a niche
platform.

> > It's incredibly disappointing to me that after all this time this is
> > still an issue. Sitting in an ivory tower and proclaiming how the world
> > _ought_ to be isn't really a useful approach to software design.
>
> It's incredibly insulting to me that you have the audacity to
> denigrate the work of the KSE developers.

Getting insulted on other people's behalf is rarely a useful exercise.
And regardless of how hard someone has worked on something, two things
are true of every contribution to the project (including mine).

1. It doesn't matter how hard you work on something, if it's a bad idea,
it's a bad idea.

2. If it doesn't meet the needs of a significant percentage of FreeBSD
users, it's a bad idea.