Re: latest current + latest ports + nvidia == no GL (pthread

From: Julian Elischer <julian_at_elischer.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 00:29:21 -0800 (PST)
 problem?)

On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Doug Barton wrote:

> Um, I can't actually. For this particular situation, my choices are use
> the nvidia drivers + current, or use windows. (And no, I'm not
> interested in debating why my choices are thus limited.) But that's not
> particularly relevant to the larger point, which is (AFAIK), the nvidia
> drivers aren't the only victims here. Choosing to break compatibility
> with third party software (what little of it there is) simply drives
> more nails in the coffin of FreeBSD as anything other than a niche
> platform.
>
> > > It's incredibly disappointing to me that after all this time this is
> > > still an issue. Sitting in an ivory tower and proclaiming how the world
> > > _ought_ to be isn't really a useful approach to software design.
> >
> > It's incredibly insulting to me that you have the audacity to
> > denigrate the work of the KSE developers.
>
> Getting insulted on other people's behalf is rarely a useful exercise.
> And regardless of how hard someone has worked on something, two things
> are true of every contribution to the project (including mine).
>
> 1. It doesn't matter how hard you work on something, if it's a bad idea,
> it's a bad idea.
>
> 2. If it doesn't meet the needs of a significant percentage of FreeBSD
> users, it's a bad idea.

Woa!

The nvidia people use %gs for their own purposes.
It is because they are simulating Thread-local storage.
This is a requirement for them...

We are planning on implementing REAL thread-local storage.
They said that when that occurs, they can compile everything to use it.

TLS is not quite here yet.. it requires the newest binutils and
significant ld knowledge, but it IS in the works..
until then people using ht envidia driver will have to do without
the advantages of real threads (libc_r is after all still there).

It is a known problem but the minority of people who run nvidia
will have to wait just a little longer because it requires a lot more
work to support a complete ld rebuild just for one product.
That doesn't mean we are not doing it.. it just isn't done yet.