Re: HPT374 Driver in -CURRENT

From: <freebsd_at_amarand.org>
Date: Sun, 8 Feb 2004 10:19:18 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 7 Feb 2004, Jon Noack wrote:

> freebsd_at_amarand.org wrote:
> > I'm noticing, after having the ability now to view the bootup, that I'm
> > receiving the following error:
> >
> > "ar: HighPoint check1 failed"
>
> This is being printed from line 1111 of src/sys/dev/pci/ata/ata-raid.c:
>
> /* check if this is a HighPoint RAID struct */
> if (info->magic != HPT_MAGIC_OK && info->magic != HPT_MAGIC_BAD) {
>     if (bootverbose)
>         printf("ar: HighPoint check1 failed\n");
>     goto highpoint_out;
> }
>
> And my ignorance starts playing a major role... ;-)
>
> Anyone in the know (Soren?) have any thoughts?

Well, let's try a different tack:

If there's someone out there who has the HPT374 chipset (or better yet,
the RocketRoad 404 product) working under 5.X with the built-in kernel
support, could you please let me know which BIOS version you're running?
I'm using 2.12c, although I'm sure I can download and upgrade/downgrade to
a specific version if this may fix the magic number comparision issue.

Also, on Highpoint's web-site, the latest driver set contains kernel load
modules for up to 5.1.  When I contacted the vendor, they stated that they
have a 'special arrangement' with the FreeBSD folks.  I'm wondering how
often they/we/you update these .ko files, and if there's some way that I
could re-compile this module on my test-box running 5.2.1?

Sorry to draw this out....

--Sean Goodman