Re: Results using ULE

From: Marc <ubm_at_u-boot-man.de>
Date: Mon, 9 Feb 2004 21:45:10 +0100
On Mon, 09 Feb 2004 08:55:28 -0800
"Evan Dower" <evantd_at_hotmail.com> wrote:

> I just switched to ULE (again) a couple days ago. I've been
> recompiling all of my ports due to the pthreads thing and I'm running
> Stanford's folding_at_home, so my system is pretty much never idle. I've
> noticed that sometimes when I haven't used my system interactively for
> a while (several hours), interactivity is slow to return when I start
> using it again. For maybe around a minute, I can move the mouse and
> then watch the pointer retrace my steps. Then interactivity will
> suddenly return, and mouse movement goes back to normal. I'm running
> with dual Athlon MP 1900+s: FreeBSD lojak 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD
> 5.2-CURRENT #0: Fri Feb  6 10:46:15 PST 2004
> evantd_at_lojak.washington.edu:/usr/obj/usr/current/src/sys/CUSTOM  i386
> Thanks a lot and I hope somebody finds this helpful,

I'm seeing a similar behaviour under 5.2-RELEASE, usually when there's a
lot of load on one or both CPUs, but sometimes even when the system has
been idle for a while and also hasn't been used interactively for some
time ( >30mins ). Those "lags" usually last only for a few seconds,
though. ACPI is enabled, but does not work (probably a BIOS problem).

I'm running dual PII-Xeons 450Mhz on a Tyan Thunder X.

FreeBSD greatsheep 5.2-RELEASE-p2 FreeBSD 5.2-RELEASE-p2 #0: Fri Feb  6
15:36:30 CET 2004 root_at_greatsheep:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SUBMARINE_SMP
i386.

Hope this helps. :-)

Bye
Marc