Re: Missing XL0 and USB printer after upgrade (WORKAROUND)

From: <bcsfd204_at_twcny.rr.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 2004 16:22:39 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: Andre Guibert de Bruet <andy_at_siliconlandmark.com>
Date: Tuesday, February 10, 2004 6:37 am
Subject: Re: Missing XL0 and USB printer after upgrade

> On Tue, 10 Feb 2004 bcsfd204_at_twcny.rr.com wrote:
>
> > I upgraded two systems over the weekend (2/6-7/04).  I came up
> from a 5.1-CURRENT level from around October, 2003.  Both are Tyan
> dual AMD processor systems with built in XL class ethernet cardss.
> I reviewed UPDATING and I believe I followed the instructions for
> the multi-terabyte changes.  The desktop kernel and world went
> without much of a problem (except nautilus keeps crashing on a
> segment fault.  I think I have to upgrade Gnome but I was going to
> do that later.)
> >
> > I then went to upgrade the server.  When I finished booting the
> machine, XL0 and my USB attached printer were not recognized
> (present).>
> > IFCONFIG does not show XL0 and ls /dev does not show my USB printer.
> >
> > I played with the kernel config (the two machines are almost
> identical (currently defined but disabled SCSI controller in the
> server machine))  I also tried SCHED_ULE and SCHED_4BSD and it did
> not seem to change anything.
> >
> > What I am noticing for the printer is, I get most of the probe
> messages but then I start getting the messages about the
> filesystems being clean and root being mounted.  During this
> portion of the boot, I get messages about the USB hardware being
> probed.>
> > It's almost like the hardware probing is not done yet before the
> kernel startes to mount the filesystems and begin initialization.
> (If I mangled the process here I'm sorry.  I'm trying to describe
> what the external symptoms look like.)
> >
> > When I review DMESG output, there is nothing present for the XL-
> class ethernet interfaces.  I also tried adding a VX-class card I
> had in the closet but this is not detected either.
> >
> > At the moment, I'm less concerned about the printer.  I'm going
> nowhere with this server box if I cannot get it back on the wire.
>
> Just for future reference, boot -v at the loader prompt will get
> you more
> verbose output which is useful for diagnosing problems like this. You
> might want to hook up a serial console to the machine and make the
> output available so that a better idea of what's going on can be had.
>
> Now for your network card problem, try kldload'ing
> /boot/kernel/if_xl.koand see if the device shows up in ifconfig.
> If it does, you probably
> forgot to compile it statically in your kernel. If it doesn't, let us
> know.
>
> Regards,
> Andy
>
> > Andre Guibert de Bruet | Enterprise Software Consultant >
> > Silicon Landmark, LLC. | http://siliconlandmark.com/    >

Andy,
After I sent you the other reply I tinkered a little more.

I tried adding miibus_load="YES" to loader.conf.local but it did not seem to make a difference.
I removed miibus_load="YES" and added if_xl_load="YES" and I appear to have a workaround for the network problem.  I have not performed any exaustive tests but the errors in DHCP and samba at boot time seem to have disappeared.

The USB printer problem remains.  But one thing at a time.  :-)

Thanks...