Re: Can't save Vinum config: No such file or directory

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 18:34:56 +0100
On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 05:58:32PM +0100, Lukas Ertl wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Feb 2004, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> > after I reverted the syscons change I could build a working kernel, but
> > something has changed in vinum, so that the volumes are not created in
> > /dev/vinum anymore.
>
> I don't think that a change in vinum caused that (from when was your last
> kernel?), but I'm gonna try to reproduce that bug.

Last kernel + world were from Feb 6. Unfortunately work got in my way and
while my work box has now completed a built from that time, it hasn't been
installed yet, and I'll be at home for the weekend so I'd have to install it
remotely (which is a bit icky). Maybe I can do a remote install tomorrow, but
I wouldn't count on it, so it would be monday at the earliest that I could
test other kernels.

Here's the last log message of the working kernel:

Feb 13 13:06:13 pcwin002 kernel: /dev/vinum/stor: clean, 787640 free (776 frags, 98358 blocks, 0.0% fragmentation)

Here's my initial config file:

drive stor0 device /dev/ad4s1e
drive stor1 device /dev/ad6s1e

volume stor
  plex name stor.p0 org striped 279k
    sd name stor.p0.s0 drive stor0 size 57277M
    sd name stor.p0.s1 drive stor1 size 57277M

I tried to do a 'vinum makedev' but this failed because:

Feb 13 13:32:24 pcwin002 kernel: makedev is not needed for a DEVFS-based system

(which is of course pretty obvious, but hey, I tried).

Thanks for looking into this, more info of course available on request (when
it can be provided remotely).

--Stijn

--
"A mouse is a device used to point at the xterm you want to type in."
		-- Kim Alm, alt.sysadmin.recovery