Re: Jails that keep hanging around

From: Robert Watson <rwatson_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Sun, 15 Feb 2004 13:49:13 -0500 (EST)
On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, Maxim Konovalov wrote:

> On Sun, 15 Feb 2004, 17:14+0100, Melvyn Sopacua wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have yet to figure out what triggers the bug, but I end up with 'running'
> > jails, without any processes. So I thought I'd create 'jld' to remove a jail.
> > However - prison_find isn't exported to userland. Probably for good reason.
> >
> > Should I worry about these jails or is it harmless:
> [...]
>
> Yes, it is a known bug, see kern/54163 for example.  It seems we are
> leaking ucred reference somewhere.  TIME_WAIT handling is involved too.
> You can reproduce it easily:

This seems to be consistent with my comments in a later message about
'struct tcpcb' references to credentials -- struct proc's reference is
inheritted by struct socket, which passes it down to struct tcptw
(mis-labeled as tcpcb in my earlier e-mail), which lives until the TCP
connection's TIME_WAIT state finishes.

robert_at_fledge.watson.org      Senior Research Scientist, McAfee Research