Re: Can't save Vinum config: No such file or directory

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 09:43:25 +1030
On Monday, 16 February 2004 at 12:09:35 +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Fri, Feb 13, 2004 at 11:55:41PM +0100, Lukas Ertl wrote:
>> I have a very very far fetched idea.  Could you please try this:
>>
>> *) cd /usr/src/sbin/vinum
>> *) vi commands.c
>> *) locate the function vinum_read(), the first line says "int error;"
>> *) initialize this var to zero, i.e. "int error = 0;"
>> *) recompile vinum and tell if that changed anything
>
> OK, more info now that I am at the console of the machine again.
>
> During the weekend I discovered that I had saved a copy of my
> previously working kernel somewhere in my homedirectory, so this
> morning I first compiled a Feb 6 version of /sbin/vinum, and then
> booted off the old kernel + vinum module, and executed the old
> /sbin/vinum. No error message, but the only things listed in my
> configuration were the drives (so no volumes/plexes/subdisks).

Sorry, yes, I was going to reply to the previous message.  The
dumpconfig output suggest that everything has been overwritten.  I
fear this is the result of something like doing a saveconfig when
there was nothing to save.

> My current theory is that I somehow goofed up during the kernel
> rebuild-a-thon last friday, and that I somewhere loaded the old
> vinum module alongside the new kernel; and this bit me by
> overwriting my configuration.

A possibility, but unlikely.  I'd honestly guess finger trouble.

> Although the data that was on the volume is not crucial, it would be
> nice if there was a way to recover it; so if you don't want to
> investigate further, can you tell me whether a vinum create would
> restore my volumes,

Yes, it should.  The data should be unchanged, so the file system
should still be OK.

> or is there simply no way that I can do so without obliterating the
> data? If the latter, I'll just move on and recreate the plex using
> ccd(4) (seeing as following vinum development is not one of my goals
> right now).

It occurs to me that we could easily prevent this kind of problem in
the future by saving the Vinum configuration at boot time to
/var/run/vinum.conf.boot or some such.  It would obviously make sense
to keep the previous configuration as well.  This should be a pretty
trivial modification to the startup scripts.

Greg