Re: Can't save Vinum config: No such file or directory

From: Stijn Hoop <stijn_at_win.tue.nl>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 16:11:59 +0100
On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:43:25AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
> Sorry, yes, I was going to reply to the previous message.  The
> dumpconfig output suggest that everything has been overwritten.  I
> fear this is the result of something like doing a saveconfig when
> there was nothing to save.

That's probably what happened then.

> > Although the data that was on the volume is not crucial, it would be
> > nice if there was a way to recover it; so if you don't want to
> > investigate further, can you tell me whether a vinum create would
> > restore my volumes,
>
> Yes, it should.  The data should be unchanged, so the file system
> should still be OK.

Great, this appeared to work, albeit with one little 'annoyance' --
vinum won't save it's configuration to the disk anymore. A 'vinum saveconfig'
doesn't produce error messages but a vinum stop / vinum start later and my
volume is gone again. The data stays intact. No problem though, I'll
restart with a clean volume once the data is safe (most likely ccd though
I haven't heard yet whether that is safe).

> > or is there simply no way that I can do so without obliterating the
> > data? If the latter, I'll just move on and recreate the plex using
> > ccd(4) (seeing as following vinum development is not one of my goals
> > right now).
>
> It occurs to me that we could easily prevent this kind of problem in
> the future by saving the Vinum configuration at boot time to
> /var/run/vinum.conf.boot or some such.  It would obviously make sense
> to keep the previous configuration as well.  This should be a pretty
> trivial modification to the startup scripts.

Yes, I was lucky that I kept my original configuration. This might be
a nice safeguard.

Thanks for your & Lukas' time, sorry for the false alarm,

--Stijn

--
"...I like logs. They give me a warm fuzzy feeling. I've been known to keep
logs for 30 months at a time (generally when I thought I was rotating them