Re: Can't save Vinum config: No such file or directory

From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 09:16:02 +1030
On Tuesday, 17 February 2004 at 16:11:59 +0100, Stijn Hoop wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 17, 2004 at 09:43:25AM +1030, Greg 'groggy' Lehey wrote:
>> Sorry, yes, I was going to reply to the previous message.  The
>> dumpconfig output suggest that everything has been overwritten.  I
>> fear this is the result of something like doing a saveconfig when
>> there was nothing to save.
>
> That's probably what happened then.
>
>>> Although the data that was on the volume is not crucial, it would be
>>> nice if there was a way to recover it; so if you don't want to
>>> investigate further, can you tell me whether a vinum create would
>>> restore my volumes,
>>
>> Yes, it should.  The data should be unchanged, so the file system
>> should still be OK.
>
> Great, this appeared to work, albeit with one little 'annoyance' --
> vinum won't save it's configuration to the disk anymore. A 'vinum
> saveconfig' doesn't produce error messages but a vinum stop / vinum
> start later and my volume is gone again. The data stays intact.

Try this:

1.  Recreate the Vinum objects and get them in the correct state.
2.  Save the output of vinum dumpconfig -v.
3.  If there is no config, do a saveconfig and save the output of
    vinum dumpconfig -v.
4.  If you have something, stop and restart Vinum and look at the
    dumpconfig again.

> No problem though, I'll restart with a clean volume once the data is
> safe (most likely ccd though I haven't heard yet whether that is
> safe).

I don't think you need to do that.  This is simply a Vinum config
issue.  As you say, the data doesn't go away.  Consider it the
equivalent of messing up the disk label on a normal disk.

I'm going to be away from the office for the rest of the week, but
I'll look at this on Monday.

Greg