Re: Aligning GENERIC with NOTES?

From: Melvyn Sopacua <freebsd-current_at_webteckies.org>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:13:48 +0100
On Tuesday 17 February 2004 22:11, Brad Knowles wrote:
> 	It is the less experienced/less knowledgeable people for whom we
> should be concerned about with regards to POLA.  And they would most
> likely be least astonished by a GENERIC kernel description that is
> well organized and makes sense, especially when compared to a larger
> NOTES file.

It has always annoyed me that LINT/NOTES are in different *order*. You keep
bouncing up and down through the files, trying to understand why some things
are left out and if they would benefit you. If the order is the same, it's
very easy to work your way down and understand the design decisions made for
GENERIC and read the more verbose comments in NOTES.

In fact - I like postfix's approach: insert contents from X here, if you need
feature foo.

Besides being minor, fixing an ediff is also a *one-time* problem, vs an
everlasting benefit of read/useability.

My 2c.
--
Melvyn

FreeBSD sarevok.webteckies.org 5.2-CURRENT FreeBSD 5.2-CURRENT #2: Mon Feb 16
19:59:52 CET 2004
root_at_sarevok.webteckies.org:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/SAREVOK_NOAPM_NODEBUG  i386