BUG: 5.2.1-RC2 no input possible with FSC KBPC-S2 PS/2 keyboard

From: Matthias Andree <ma_at_dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de>
Date: Tue, 17 Feb 2004 23:55:01 +0100
Hi,

I've just booted the 5.2.1-RC2 i386 kern + mfsroot floppies.

After the kernel has booted and counted its devices, I can no longer
enter data. The keyboard still works in the loader autoboot countdown
but stops working when the kernel boots. Ctrl Alt Del are
non-functional, only the reset button works.

The pertinent keyboard is always a German 105-key QWERTZ Fujitsu Siemens
Computers KBPC S2 with PS/2 connector.

I have seen this with two different keyboards of this same FSC KBPC S2
type on three different mainboards, Serverworks (Xeon) and VIA chipset
(AMD Duron/Athlon XP) based.

This problem wasn't present in 5.1-RELEASE, I've seen it for the first
time in November 2003 when I updated a FSC Primergy RX300 (single Xeon,
HTT) test machine from 5.1-REL to 5-CURRENT.

Other keyboards such as the older SNI-OEM TAPC-S or a Cherry G81-3000
are fine.

I know three workarounds at this time (it seems the keyboard is slow to
reset):

1. suppress detaching the atkbd driver after reset failure:
   hint.atkbd.0.flags="0"

2. suppress the keyboard reset:
   hint.atkbd.0.flags="3"

3. recompile the kernel with this options added:

options KBD_RESETDELAY=1600
options KBD_MAXWAIT=3

I tried 3000, 2300 and 1600 for KBD_RESETDELAY all worked. 200 doesn't
work. I haven't yet figured if the resetdelay can be lowered further
(900 would be a candidate for the next kernel compile :-)

Please consider including any of these workarounds for the final 5.2.1
release.

--
Matthias Andree