Re: buildworld fails as non-root user

From: Ruslan Ermilov <ru_at_freebsd.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 12:02:55 +0200
On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 10:24:23AM -0500, Robert Watson wrote:

> On Mon, 16 Feb 2004, Joan Picanyol wrote:
>
> > I can't buildworld as a regular user with a clean /usr/obj:
> > Is this expected behaviour? Is there a workaround?
>
> I build world using a non-root user frequently, so I'd say it's not
> expected.  Could you rm -Rf /usr/obj again (and make sure the contents are
> really gone -- rm will need you to manually remove the schg flag, if it's
> set), set the ownership, and try again?

I found the problem.  The make.conf(5) manpage and an example
make.conf file suggest INSTALL="install -C" setting, which
breaks the non-root build feature.  This is caused by the fact
that global make(1) variables (those in /etc/make.conf also)
have preference over environment variables (that's how we set
INSTALL in BMAKEENV).

I will commit a fix as soon as I test it.

Cheers,
--
Ruslan Ermilov
FreeBSD committer