How to perform regex upgrade? (vendor branches)

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 03:47:23 +0300
To whom it may interest.
Since I am fear now to deal with vendor branches (while latest issue still
unclear, was it done right or wrong, and at the moment of writing this I
believe it is right), I prefer to inform about my future
actions beforehead.

As you can read in
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/regex/README
GNU stops to update regex as standalone library. Since I want to upgrade
our grep to 2.4.2, I must to upgrade libregex first to version which is
included into grep 2.4.2. I found it compatible. This is 3 files only
(regex.c regex.h posix/regex.h). It means all other files of
gnu/lib/libregex (configure, NEWS, etc. will be removed). The question is
the same as the latest getopt* removal issue we discuss: how they can be
removed properly, from HEAD branch or somehow else? Remember, this files
still may be actual for not regex-upgraded FreeBSD 5 and 4.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/