Re: How to perform regex upgrade? (vendor branches)

From: Nate Lawson <nate_at_root.org>
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2004 18:49:15 -0800 (PST)
On Thu, 19 Feb 2004, Andrey Chernov wrote:
> To whom it may interest.
> Since I am fear now to deal with vendor branches (while latest issue still
> unclear, was it done right or wrong, and at the moment of writing this I
> believe it is right), I prefer to inform about my future
> actions beforehead.

Thanks for posting this first.

> As you can read in
> ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/regex/README
> GNU stops to update regex as standalone library. Since I want to upgrade
> our grep to 2.4.2, I must to upgrade libregex first to version which is
> included into grep 2.4.2. I found it compatible. This is 3 files only
> (regex.c regex.h posix/regex.h). It means all other files of
> gnu/lib/libregex (configure, NEWS, etc. will be removed). The question is
> the same as the latest getopt* removal issue we discuss: how they can be
> removed properly, from HEAD branch or somehow else? Remember, this files
> still may be actual for not regex-upgraded FreeBSD 5 and 4.

Perhaps someone from cvs_at_ can comment on this.  I assume there is a
standard approach taken for FreeBSD and it would be great if someone could
share this and that could go into the cvs users guide.  I personally
always delete files on the vendor branch if they are not off of it to
avoid creating new conflicts.  But I'm unsure where my personal
preferences end and where FreeBSD's approach begins.

Thanks,
Nate