How to deal with deletes between imports (suggestion)

From: Andrey Chernov <ache_at_nagual.pp.ru>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 20:43:35 +0300
What Ruslan writes in the Message-ID: <20040219090357.GD5351_at_ip.net.ua>:
> So yes, we should remove getopt* files on vendor branches, but only
> after the next import, and also if this new import has them in
> exclude list.

gives me interesting idea. It is clear that always waiting for the next
import to remove something is too unrealistic, some programs not touched
for years. In the same time what already imported must be keeped in sync
with evolving FreeBSD changes. It means that FREEBSD-Xlist alone, which
reflects import state at the moment of importing can't play its role to
reflect changes between imports too.

So I suggest adding yet one file (gcc already do that way),
FREEBSD-deleted (or maybe under some other name) where changes between
imports reflected while NOT removing anything from the vendor branch. On
the next import somebody merge contents of FREEBSD-deleted into
FREEBSD-Xlist and actually delete them from the vendor branch, removing
FREEBSD-deleted.

Lets return to my case as example: to fix situation in that way I may
remove getopt* lines from FREEBSD-Xlist's and put them into
FREEBSD-deleted's instead.

--
Andrey Chernov | http://ache.pp.ru/