Filesystem support on DVD-RAMs

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 19:08:35 +0100
I recently got an LG GSA-4081B multiwriter, which also supports DVD-RAM. I've
been quite enthusiastic about finally having a a really big sort-of-floppy
disk I can use without any packet-writing nonsense & such, so I spent a bit
of time rebooting and formatting and mounting to find out which filesystem
would be best suited for carrying around data on DVD-RAMs with me (see table
below).

Right now it would seem that ext2fs needs to fixed to be able to mount
filesystems from cd-devices, and newfs_msdos needs to be fixed to create
filesystems on cd-devices. Furthermore, we probably need some new disktab
entries for typical DVD-RAM media. I've done all this on a -STABLE machine,
since the burner is in a -STABLE machine. I've cc'd -current because I'd like
to know if the situation is any different in -CURRENT / 5.2 and because
someone might want to append the table with results for UDF 1.5 and UDF 2.0,
which I didn't bother to test because UDF support still isn't MFC'd.

Some notes on the table: Read+Write NO in Linux and FreeBSD equals "no
mounting possibe". UFS means UFS1 (newfs from -STABLE was used).

       | FreeBSD    | Linux          | Windows 2000 (with drive-  | Win98 SE |
       | 4.9-Stable | Knoppix-2.4.20 | vendor-supplied driver)    | (plain)  |
Fat 32 |            |                |                            |          |
Create |    NO      |       NO       |           YES              |    NO    |
Fat 32 |            |                |                            |          |
Read   |    YES     |       YES      |           YES              |    YES   |
Fat 32 |            |                |                            |          |
Write  |    YES     |       YES      |           YES              |    NO    |
NTFS   |            |                |                            |          |
Create |    NO      |       NO       |           YES              |    NO    |
NTFS   |            |                |                            |          |
Read   |    NO      |       YES      |           YES              |    NO    |
NTFS   |            |                |                            |          |
Write  |    NO      |    Untested    |           YES              |    NO    |
EXT2   |            |                |                            |          |
Create |    YES     |       YES      |           NO               |    NO    |
EXT2   |            |                |                            |          |
Read   |    NO      |       YES      |           NO               |    NO    |
EXT2   |            |                |                            |          |
Write  |    NO      |       YES      |           NO               |    NO    |
UFS    |            |                |                            |          |
Create |    YES     |       NO       |           NO               |    NO    |
UFS    |            |                |                            |          |
Read   |    YES     |       NO       |           NO               |    NO    |
UFS    |            |                |                            |          |
Write  |    YES     |       NO       |           NO               |    NO    |

   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org