Re: Filesystem support on DVD-RAMs

From: Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:14:04 +0100
On Thursday 19 February 2004 19:08, Michael Nottebrock wrote:
> I've cc'd -current because I'd
> like to know if the situation is any different in -CURRENT / 5.2 and
> because someone might want to append the table with results for UDF 1.5 and
> UDF 2.0, which I didn't bother to test because UDF support still isn't
> MFC'd.

Okay, so I've done it myself already, with the help of a 5.2-Release-p1
FreeSBIE from GUFI. The Linux used is still the Knoppix 3.2 from the previous
tests, with udftools 1.0.0b2 compiled from source.

The numbers in the table indicate the UDF version.

      |  Linux    | FreeBSD   | Windows      | Windows   |
      | (2.4.20)  | 5.2R-p1   | 2000 SP4 (*) | 98 SE (*) |
------|---------------------------------------------------
UDF   | 1.02,1.50 |    NO     |      NO      |     NO    |
Create| 2.01      |           |              |           |
------|---------------------------------------------------
UDF   | 1.02,1.50 | 1.01,1.50 |   1.01,1.50  | 1.01,1.50 |
Read  | 2.01      |           |              |           |
------|---------------------------------------------------
UDF   | 1.02,1.50 |     NO    |      NO      |     NO    |
Write | 2.01      |           |              |           |
------|---------------------------------------------------

(*) Windows support for UDF filesystems can be extended
    by driver support from the drive manufacturer, but
    the set of supported features will differ from manu-
    facturer, i.e. LG's drivers might support different
    things than Pioneer's or Plextor's. Below is a table
    what Windows can do with the drivers supplied by LG
    for the GSA-4081B drive:

      | Windows      | Windows   |
      | 2000 SP4 (*) | 98 SE (*) |
------|---------------------------
UDF   |   1.50,2.01  | 1.50,2.01 |
Create|              |           |
------|---------------------------
UDF   |   1.01,1.50, | 1.01,1.50,|
Read  |   2.01       | 2.01      |
------|---------------------------
UDF   |   1.01,1.50, | 1.01,1,50 |
Write |   2.01       | 2.01      |

Together with the first table I posted, it becomes pretty clear that FreeBSD
systems are de facto isolated with regard to data-exchange over DVD-media -
it's not possible to create filesystems on fresh media which can be read on
any non-BSD systems and the only filesystem besides UFS that's supported with
read and write access is FAT32, which does not meet the requirements to
properly represent filesystems with common unix-semantics.

--
   ,_,   | Michael Nottebrock               | lofi_at_freebsd.org