Re: Testers wanted: reentrant resolver

From: Brian F. Feldman <green_at_FreeBSD.org>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:24:40 -0500
Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> wrote:
> Ugh, can you put h_errno inside the per-thread res stuff.
> We shouldn't need to have to add special hooks in the
> threads libraries for this.

Please explain what you're saying further.  On correctly-threaded operating
systems, h_errno is just like errno -- and I made it act EXACTLY as errno
acts, and is per-thread storage for everything but the first thread.  It's
absolutely necessary if we want to return the correct errors; even if
everything else in the world is totally reentrant, if h_errno isn't, the
wrong errors can be returned!  What "special hooks" do you mean?  There's no
way to not change probably hundreds of lines of code without actually doing
the work to make h_errno thread-safe.  It's the only proper thing to do.

  <> green_at_FreeBSD.org                               \  The Power to Serve! \