Re: Testers wanted: reentrant resolver

From: Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com>
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2004 19:38:45 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Brian F. Feldman wrote:

> Daniel Eischen <eischen_at_vigrid.com> wrote:
> > Ugh, can you put h_errno inside the per-thread res stuff.
> > We shouldn't need to have to add special hooks in the
> > threads libraries for this.
>
> Please explain what you're saying further.  On correctly-threaded operating
> systems, h_errno is just like errno -- and I made it act EXACTLY as errno
> acts, and is per-thread storage for everything but the first thread.  It's
> absolutely necessary if we want to return the correct errors; even if
> everything else in the world is totally reentrant, if h_errno isn't, the
> wrong errors can be returned!  What "special hooks" do you mean?  There's no
> way to not change probably hundreds of lines of code without actually doing
> the work to make h_errno thread-safe.  It's the only proper thing to do.

The implementation of __h_errno() need not depend on something
special stuffed in struct pthread.  Use thread-local storage
(pthread_getspecific()) like you did for the res_send_private
stuff.  Especially since these interfaces should be deprecated
in favor of what looks to be BIND 8.2.2 interfaces (according
to the Solaris man pages).

--
Dan Eischen