Re: Filesystem support on DVD-RAMs

From: NAKAMURA Takeshi <1yen_at_sh.rim.or.jp>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 09:42:22 +0900
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004 23:38:59 +0100,
 Michael Nottebrock <michaelnottebrock_at_gmx.net> wrote:

> I meant to write DVD-RAM-media of course.

I have bad news.
I have crash dump.
% uname -smr
FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p13 i386

# gdb -k kernel.debug /home/crash/vmcore.1
[...]
This GDB was configured as "i386-undermydesk-freebsd"...
panic: from debugger
panic messages:
---
panic: initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs1: already started
panic: from debugger
Uptime: 17h44m49s
Dumping 95 MB
ata0: resetting devices ..
done
 16 32 48 64 80
---
Reading symbols from /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CRCA0920/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi.ko.debug...done.
Loaded symbols for /usr/src/sys/i386/compile/CRCA0920/modules/usr/src/sys/modules/acpi/acpi.ko.debug
Reading symbols from /boot/kernel/snake_saver.ko...done.
Loaded symbols for /boot/kernel/snake_saver.ko
#0  0xc01e138b in doadump ()
(kgdb) bt
#0  0xc01e138b in doadump ()
#1  0xc01e19b3 in boot ()
#2  0xc01e1cfb in panic ()
#3  0xc0144c52 in db_panic ()
#4  0xc0144bd2 in db_command ()
#5  0xc0144ce6 in db_command_loop ()
#6  0xc0147a7a in db_trap ()
#7  0xc0316fe5 in kdb_trap ()
#8  0xc03281fc in trap ()
#9  0xc0318938 in calltrap ()
#10 0xc01e1c9b in panic ()
#11 0xc02c6885 in initiate_write_inodeblock_ufs1 ()  <=== ?in SoftUpdate?
#12 0xc02c6243 in softdep_disk_io_initiation ()
#13 0xc01a9512 in spec_xstrategy ()
#14 0xc01a984b in spec_specstrategy ()
#15 0xc01a87e8 in spec_vnoperate ()
#16 0xc0226277 in bwrite ()
#17 0xc0227f01 in vfs_bio_awrite ()
#18 0xc022f5ae in vop_stdfsync ()
#19 0xc01a93c0 in spec_fsync ()
#20 0xc01a87e8 in spec_vnoperate ()
#21 0xc0237bee in sched_sync ()
#22 0xc01cd740 in fork_exit ()

I don't know gdb thing. How can I do?

PC: IBM PC300GL
OS: FreeBSD 5.1-RELEASE-p13 i386
Drive: Panasonic LF-D560
DVD-RAM media: 2.6G / newfs on FreeBSD 4-STABLE(Dec, 2003) with SoftUpdate

=== dmesg ===
usb0: <Intel 82371AB/EB (PIIX4) USB controller> on uhci0
usb0: USB revision 1.0
uhub0: Intel UHCI root hub, class 9/0, rev 1.00/1.00, addr 1
umass0: Panasonic (Matsushita) product 0x2b00, rev 2.00/1.00, addr 2
[...]
cd0 at umass-sim0 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
cd0: <MATSHITA DVD-RAM LF-D521 A112> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
cd0: 1.000MB/s transfers
cd0: cd present [1218960 x 2048 byte records]
=============

=== another time syslog === ????
Feb 21 08:42:49 crca0920 kernel: umass0: Unsupported ATAPI command 0x43
Feb 21 08:43:01 crca0920 last message repeated 3 times
Feb 21 08:45:25 crca0920 last message repeated 2 times
Feb 21 08:47:50 crca0920 last message repeated 3 times
[...]
spec_getpages:(cd0) I/O read failure: (error=5) bp 0xc323f108 vp 0xc16f0c8c
               size: 1536, resid: 1536, a_count: 1093, valid: 0x0
               nread: 0, reqpage: 0, pindex: 3, pcount: 1
vm_fault: pager read error, pid 624 (cp)
==============

# dd if=/dev/cd0c of=/dev/null bs=64m
18+0 records in
18+0 records out
1207959552 bytes transferred in 1690.103132 secs (714725 bytes/sec)
(stoped by Ctrl-C)
  It works fine.

# mount /dev/cd0c /mnt
# dd if=/dev/zero of=/mnt/zero bs=64k
  It works fine too.

but... (with SoftUpdate)
% ssh host 'tar cf - audio' | (cd ${DVDRAM} ; tar xvf - )
...panic

% tar xzf ports.tar.gz -C ${DVDRAM} (without SoftUpdate)
tar: ports/comms/libticables/distinfo: Cannot open: Input/output error
tar: ports/comms/libticables/pkg-descr: Cannot open: Input/output error
tar: ports/comms/libticables/pkg-plist: Cannot open: Input/output error
tar: ports/comms/tilp: Cannot mkdir: Input/output error
tar: ports/comms/tilp/files: Cannot mkdir: No such file or directory
tar: ports/comms/tilp/files/patch-Makefile.in: Cannot open: No such file or directory
tar: ports/comms/tilp/files/patch-man-Makefile.in: Cannot open: No such file or directory
[...]
  many error. and 15sec/1message
tar: ports/comms/grig/Makefile: Cannot open: No such file or directory  (9:27:56)
tar: ports/comms/grig/distinfo: Cannot open: No such file or directory  (9:28:47)
tar: ports/comms/grig/pkg-descr: Cannot open: No such file or directory (9:29:12)
tar: ports/comms/grig/pkg-plist: Cannot open: No such file or directory (9:29:37)
tar: ports/comms/xtt516: Cannot mkdir: Input/output error               (9:30:02)
tar: ports/comms/xtt516/Makefile: Cannot open: No such file or directory (9:30:27)

  Not work cd0
% iostat -d ad0 cd0 -w 100
             ad0              cd0
  KB/t tps  MB/s   KB/t tps  MB/s
 19.22   3  0.06  21.35   6  0.13
 15.62   0  0.00   0.00   0  0.00
 16.00   0  0.00   0.00   0  0.00
 16.00   0  0.00   0.00   0  0.00

===== /var/log/messages =====
Feb 21 08:56:29 crca0920 kernel: (cd0:umass-sim0:0:0:0): cddone: got error 0x5 back
Feb 21 08:57:19 crca0920 last message repeated 2 times
Feb 21 08:59:25 crca0920 last message repeated 5 times
Feb 21 09:09:03 crca0920 last message repeated 23 times

I killed tar. I'll unmount.
# umount /mnt/
umount: unmount of /mnt failed: Resource temporarily unavailable
 /dev/log/messages
Feb 21 09:36:23 crca0920 kernel: fsync: giving up on dirty: 0xc16f0c8c: tag devfs, type VCHR, usecount 4721, writecount 0, refcount 24, flags (VV_OBJBUF), lock type devfs: EXCL (count 1) by thread 0xc17d8be0
Feb 21 09:36:23 crca0920 kernel: dev cd0

Kernel config
%  diff GENERIC CRCA0920
22,23c22,23
< cpu           I486_CPU
< cpu           I586_CPU
---
> #cpu          I486_CPU
> #cpu          I586_CPU
39c39
< options       MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
---
> #options      MD_ROOT                 #MD is a potential root device
42c42
< options       NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, requires NFSCLIENT
---
> #options      NFS_ROOT                #NFS usable as root device, requires NFSCLIENT
49c49
< options       SCSI_DELAY=15000        #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
---
> options       SCSI_DELAY=1000         #Delay (in ms) before probing SCSI
62,63c62,63
< #options      DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
< #options      INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
---
> options       DDB                     #Enable the kernel debugger
> options       INVARIANTS              #Enable calls of extra sanity checking
65c65
< #options      WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
---
> options       WITNESS                 #Enable checks to detect deadlocks and cycles
88,106c88,106
< device                ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
< device                ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
< device                ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx devices
< device                amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
< device                isp             # Qlogic family
< device                mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
< #device               ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
< device                sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets + those of `ncr')
< device                trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U adapters
<
< device                adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
< device                adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
< device                aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
< device                aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
< device                bt              # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster SCSI adapters
<
< device                ncv             # NCR 53C500
< device                nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
< device                stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50
---
> #device               ahb             # EISA AHA1742 family
> #device               ahc             # AHA2940 and onboard AIC7xxx devices
> #device               ahd             # AHA39320/29320 and onboard AIC79xx devices
> #device               amd             # AMD 53C974 (Tekram DC-390(T))
> #device               isp             # Qlogic family
> #device               mpt             # LSI-Logic MPT-Fusion
> ##device              ncr             # NCR/Symbios Logic
> #device               sym             # NCR/Symbios Logic (newer chipsets + those of `ncr')
> #device               trm             # Tekram DC395U/UW/F DC315U adapters
>
> #device               adv             # Advansys SCSI adapters
> #device               adw             # Advansys wide SCSI adapters
> #device               aha             # Adaptec 154x SCSI adapters
> #device               aic             # Adaptec 15[012]x SCSI adapters, AIC-6[23]60.
> #device               bt              # Buslogic/Mylex MultiMaster SCSI adapters
>
> #device               ncv             # NCR 53C500
> #device               nsp             # Workbit Ninja SCSI-3
> #device               stg             # TMC 18C30/18C50
109,113c109,113
< device                asr             # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID
< device                ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
< device                dpt             # DPT Smartcache III, IV - See NOTES for options!
< device                iir             # Intel Integrated RAID
< device                mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
---
> #device               asr             # DPT SmartRAID V, VI and Adaptec SCSI RAID
> #device               ciss            # Compaq Smart RAID 5*
> #device               dpt             # DPT Smartcache III, IV - See NOTES for options!
> #device               iir             # Intel Integrated RAID
> #device               mly             # Mylex AcceleRAID/eXtremeRAID
122c122
< device                ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
---
> #device               ses             # SCSI Environmental Services (and SAF-TE)
125,132c125,132
< device                aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID
< device                aacp            # SCSI passthrough for aac (requires CAM)
< device                amr             # AMI MegaRAID
< device                ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
< device                ips             # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
< device                mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
< device                pst             # Promise Supertrak SX6000
< device                twe             # 3ware ATA RAID
---
> #device               aac             # Adaptec FSA RAID
> #device               aacp            # SCSI passthrough for aac (requires CAM)
> #device               amr             # AMI MegaRAID
> #device               ida             # Compaq Smart RAID
> #device               ips             # IBM (Adaptec) ServeRAID
> #device               mlx             # Mylex DAC960 family
> #device               pst             # Promise Supertrak SX6000
> #device               twe             # 3ware ATA RAID
163c163
< device                cbb                     # cardbus (yenta) bridge
---
> #device               cbb                     # cardbus (yenta) bridge
165,166c165,166
< device                pccard                  # PC Card (16-bit) bus
< device                cardbus                 # CardBus (32-bit) bus
---
> #device               pccard                  # PC Card (16-bit) bus
> #device               cardbus                 # CardBus (32-bit) bus
175c175
< device                plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
---
> #device               plip            # TCP/IP over parallel
181,184c181,184
< device                de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
< device                em              # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
< device                txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
< device                vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
---
> #device               de              # DEC/Intel DC21x4x (``Tulip'')
> #device               em              # Intel PRO/1000 adapter Gigabit Ethernet Card
> #device               txp             # 3Com 3cR990 (``Typhoon'')
> #device               vx              # 3Com 3c590, 3c595 (``Vortex'')
189c189
< device                dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
---
> #device               dc              # DEC/Intel 21143 and various workalikes
191,203c191,203
< device                pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 (precedence over 'lnc')
< device                rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
< device                sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
< device                sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
< device                sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x and SK-982x gigabit ethernet
< device                ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
< device                ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II gigabit ethernet
< device                tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
< device                tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
< device                vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
< device                wb              # Winbond W89C840F
< device                xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')
< device                bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
---
> #device               pcn             # AMD Am79C97x PCI 10/100 (precedence over 'lnc')
> #device               rl              # RealTek 8129/8139
> #device               sf              # Adaptec AIC-6915 (``Starfire'')
> #device               sis             # Silicon Integrated Systems SiS 900/SiS 7016
> #device               sk              # SysKonnect SK-984x and SK-982x gigabit ethernet
> #device               ste             # Sundance ST201 (D-Link DFE-550TX)
> #device               ti              # Alteon Networks Tigon I/II gigabit ethernet
> #device               tl              # Texas Instruments ThunderLAN
> #device               tx              # SMC EtherPower II (83c170 ``EPIC'')
> #device               vr              # VIA Rhine, Rhine II
> #device               wb              # Winbond W89C840F
> #device               xl              # 3Com 3c90x (``Boomerang'', ``Cyclone'')
> #device               bge             # Broadcom BCM570xx Gigabit Ethernet
206c206
< device                cs              # Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0 NIC
---
> #device               cs              # Crystal Semiconductor CS89x0 NIC
208,215c208,215
< device                ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
< device                ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
< device                ep              # Etherlink III based cards
< device                fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
< device                ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10 etc.
< device                lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
< device                sn              # SMC's 9000 series of ethernet chips
< device                xe              # Xircom pccard ethernet
---
> #device               ed              # NE[12]000, SMC Ultra, 3c503, DS8390 cards
> #device               ex              # Intel EtherExpress Pro/10 and Pro/10+
> #device               ep              # Etherlink III based cards
> #device               fe              # Fujitsu MB8696x based cards
> #device               ie              # EtherExpress 8/16, 3C507, StarLAN 10 etc.
> #device               lnc             # NE2100, NE32-VL Lance Ethernet cards
> #device               sn              # SMC's 9000 series of ethernet chips
> #device               xe              # Xircom pccard ethernet
221,224c221,224
< device                wlan            # 802.11 support
< device                an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
< device                awi             # BayStack 660 and others
< device                wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
---
> #device               wlan            # 802.11 support
> #device               an              # Aironet 4500/4800 802.11 wireless NICs.
> #device               awi             # BayStack 660 and others
> #device               wi              # WaveLAN/Intersil/Symbol 802.11 wireless NICs.
231,232c231,232
< device                sl              # Kernel SLIP
< device                ppp             # Kernel PPP
---
> #device               sl              # Kernel SLIP
> #device               ppp             # Kernel PPP
245c245
< device                ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
---
> #device               ohci            # OHCI PCI->USB interface
251c251
< device                ulpt            # Printer
---
> #device               ulpt            # Printer
254,255c254,255
< device                urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
< device                uscanner        # Scanners
---
> #device               urio            # Diamond Rio 500 MP3 player
> #device               uscanner        # Scanners
257,260c257,260
< device                aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
< device                axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
< device                cue             # CATC USB ethernet
< device                kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
---
> #device               aue             # ADMtek USB ethernet
> #device               axe             # ASIX Electronics USB ethernet
> #device               cue             # CATC USB ethernet
> #device               kue             # Kawasaki LSI USB ethernet
263,265c263,265
< device                firewire        # FireWire bus code
< device                sbp             # SCSI over FireWire (Requires scbus and da)
< device                fwe             # Ethernet over FireWire (non-standard!)
---