/dev/mixer doesn't work

From: Richard Cox <conardcox_at_earthlink.net>
Date: Sat, 21 Feb 2004 18:42:19 -0500
Hi All,

I don't have any volume control on my sound card at all.  It's stuck full
blast, and nothing will have any affect on it.  I've had this problem since I
installed 5.2 a little over a month ago.  I've noticed one or two other
people mention it, but never seen anything about a possible fix.  Here are
some particulars:

[rocket-fbsd:~]# cat /dev/sndstat
FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm)
Installed devices:
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> at io 0xdf80 irq 10 (4p/2r/0v channels duplex
default)

rocket-fbsd:~]# dmesg | grep pcm0
pcm0: <Creative EMU10K1> port 0xdf80-0xdf9f irq 10 at device 12.0 on pci2
pcm0: <TriTech TR28602 AC97 Codec>

[rocket-fbsd:~]# kldstat
Id Refs Address    Size     Name
 1   11 0xc0400000 3a7600   kernel
 2    1 0xc07a8000 1cff0    linux.ko
 3    1 0xc07c5000 86f8     snd_emu10k1.ko
 4    2 0xc07ce000 1e7c8    snd_pcm.ko
 5    1 0xc07ed000 1ae3c    radeon.ko
 6    1 0xc0808000 4ccd8    acpi.ko

Keep in mind the sound is beautifully clear (and loud), so there is not a
problem with the device per se.  Oh, one more thing:

[rocket-fbsd:~]# mixer
Mixer vol      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer pcm      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer speaker  is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer mic      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer cd       is currently set to   0:0
Mixer rec      is currently set to   0:0
Mixer line1    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phin     is currently set to   0:0
Mixer phout    is currently set to   0:0
Mixer video    is currently set to   0:0
Recording source: mic

With those settings, it's blasting my ear-drums out right now.  I do have a
mixer device, btw:

[rocket-fbsd:~]# ls /dev/mixer0
/dev/mixer0
[rocket-fbsd:~]# ls /dev/mixer*
/dev/mixer0
[rocket-fbsd:~]# ls /dev/mixer
/dev/mixer

(Note the weird 'ls' behavior, btw.  I've seen other postings about that, and
it doesn't bother me, but it is very interesting).

So, if any kind soul out there can: a) point out the error of my ways or b)
confirm the problem as a bug, I would be most greatful 8^)  This is the
*only* issue that's keeping from migrating to 5.2 pretty much full time
now...and I love 5.2!

Cheers,

Richard